Classic Steak with Mash and Green Beans
160ml (2/3 cup) hot milk
80g butter, cubed
30ml (2T) barbecue sauce
22ml (1-1/2T) Worcestershire sauce (leave out if kids don’t like spicy food)
1 garlic clove, crushed
4 x 150g steaks
125ml (1/2 cup) chicken stock
Steamed green beans, to serve
• Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of salted water over a high heat for 10-15 minutes, or until tender. Drain and return to pan. Stir over medium heat for 1 minute, until dry. Mash, adding hot milk and butter. Season to taste.
• Meanwhile, combine barbeque sauce, Worcestershire sauce and garlic in a shallow bowl. Add steaks and turn to coat. Heat a lightly oiled char-grill or frying pan on high. Reserving marinade, cook steaks for 2-3 minutes each side if you like them rare, or longer, if preferred.
• Combine reserved marinade and stock in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes, until slightly reduced. Drizzle steaks with pan juices and serve with mashed potato and steamed green beans.
Cheese and Spinach Tortellini with Peas and Asparagus
625g cheese and spinach tortellini
1 cup (250g) frozen peas
2 bunches asparagus, cut into 4cm pieces
125ml (1/2 cup) cream
Rind and juice of 1 lemon
1 garlic clove, crushed
250g (1 cup) parsley leaves
75g (1/3 cup) grated Parmesan cheese
• Cook tortellini in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water according to packet directions. Add peas and asparagus 3 minutes before end of cooking time.
Drain and keep warm.
• Add cream, lemon rind, juice and garlic to the same pan and bring to the boil.
• Toss through tortellini and vegetables and season to taste. Toss through parsley and serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
Roast Orange Chicken with Orange and Rocket Salad
115g (1/3 cup) orange marmalade
1/2 bunch oregano, coarsely chopped
Grated rind and juice of half a lemon
750g chicken thigh fillets
3 oranges, segmented
100g baby rocket (or iceberg lettuce)
2 celery stalks, cut into diagonal chunks
30ml (2T) extra-virgin olive oil
• Pre-heat oven to 220°C. Line a baking tray with lightly oiled aluminium foil.
• Combine marmalade, oregano, lemon rind and juice in a shallow bowl. Add chicken pieces and turn to coat. Season well and roll up each thigh fillet, enclosing a little marinade. Place on tray and roast for 20 minutes, basting regularly with marinade, until cooked.
• Place orange segments, rocket and celery in a bowl. Drizzle with oil, season to taste and toss gently to combine.
• Drizzle chicken with juices and serve with salad.
Spicy Fish with Spinach and Yoghurt
1 onion, finely chopped
400g (1-2/3 cups) jasmine rice
30g (1T) plain flour
10ml (2 tsp) ground cumin
10ml (2 tsp) ground coriander
4 x 150g fish fillets such as flathead
2 bunches English spinach, trimmed and wilted
Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
• Heat an oiled, medium-size saucepan. Cook onion for 5 minutes, until soft. Stir in rice until well coated. Stir in 3 cups of water, season to taste and bring to the boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for about 13 minutes, until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
• Meanwhile combine flour, cumin and coriander in a shallow bowl. Season to taste and rub over fish. Heat a lightly greased, non-stick frying pan on high. Cook fish for 2-3 minutes each side, until cooked through. Transfer fish to a hot plate and set aside. Cook spinach in same pan for 3-5 minutes, until wilted.
• Serve fish with rice, spinach and a dollop of yoghurt on top.