The Vodacom Durban July is also a traditional showcase for all that’s elegant, daring or outrageous in fashion. We take a look at the logistics of the event and offer a survival kit for those attending it.
DESTINY will be tweeting and bringing you updates live from Greyville Race Course, so be sure to keep an eye on our Twitter handle, @destinyconnect and find us on Facebook by clicking here.
• Tickets can be purchased on the day, costing R200 each.
• No parking tickets will be sold on the day. These must be purchased beforehand at a cost of R50 each.
• Gates open at 10am.
DURBAN JULY IN NUMBERS
• 55 000 people will be catered for.
• 15 000 meals will be served.
• 40 chefs will serve these meals.
• 350 waiters and barmen will be serving throughout the day.
• 18 000 beers will be served.
• 25 000 minerals, 2 500 bottles of spirits and 600 bottles of wine will be available.
• 8 000 servings of chicken curry, 150kg of prawns and 300kg of crayfish will be found on tables.
• 5 000 pies, 3 000 cups of tea, 2 000 hamburgers and 7 000 breadrolls will be served.
FASHION SURVIVAL KIT
DESTINY asked fashion designer Gert-Johan Coetzee for his top five tips for making an entrance (and an exit) in style:
* Wear the highest heels you can walk on, as these will elevate you into visibility and make you appear slim.
* Try not to stand too much. Remember, it’s a long day and you wouldn't want to look uncomfortable in those killer heels!
* Posture is everything. Walk with your shoulders back, your head up high and some attitude.
* Remember to wear sunscreen. Even though it’s winter, Durban tends to get hot.
* Always leave when the room is full.
• There’ll be about 18 marquees hosted by alcohol brand houses, Vodacom and record labels among others.
• One of the most sought-after marquees is the MTV Base Lifestyle Oasis, which won Best Marquee last year.
• The Afrotainment marquee will debut this year and will be co-hosted by e.tv and Club 808.
• Entrance tickets to marquees can be purchased. Click here for details.
• Marquees will serve food and drinks throughout the day and will provide entertainment.
• The Vodacom marquee will be at the centre of the venue.
• The theme is “A Material World”. Love red, go green!
• Recycling is the order of the day. In keeping with this theme, SA’s first eco-friendly dress – designed by GreenOFFICE fine arts specialist Julie James and made entirely from redundant office supplies such as recycled paper and printer cartridges – will be showcased.
• Recycling is the order of the day.
• The event will be broadcast live on SABC3 from 2pm.
• Radio stations and various media will cover the event.
• DESTINY will bring you live coverage via Twitter and Facebook.
• The official Vodacom Durban July after-party will take place at the DLI Hall in Durban.
• Afrotainment is hosting an after-party at the Moses Mabhida Stadium.
• Check local gig guides for various other venues.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
• No under-18 are allowed to bet.
• Vehicles parked incorrectly will be towed away.
• Illegal or suspicious activities can be reported to tel: 031 314 1646 on the day.
• Police will be on patrol throughout the day.
• Weapons are prohibited.