Roasted Granola and Orange Cherry Compôte
3 oranges, segmented
250g (1 cup) cherries
250g (1 cup) sugar
83ml (1/3 cup) water
1 vanilla pod
500g (2 cups) store-bought muesli
60ml (4T) honey
Thick plain yoghurt
To make compôte:
• Combine all ingredients in a large, heavy saucepan.
• Bring to the boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
• Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
• Transfer compôte to a medium bowl. Refrigerate, uncovered, until cold (about 3 hours). (This part of the recipe can be prepared 2 days in advance – just keep the compôte covered and chilled.)
To make granola:
• Pre-heat oven to 200ºC.
• Mix the muesli and honey together and place in a greased baking tray.
• Bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Then allow to cool.
• Place yoghurt at the bottom of a tumbler.
• Top with granola, then add a generous serving of compôte, then add more plain yoghurt.
• Finish with a sprinkling of granola.
Poached Pears on French Toast
For poached pears:
250g (1/2 cup) sugar
500ml (2 cups) dry white wine
1/4 stem ginger, thinly sliced
4 firm pears
4 large eggs
For French toast:
500ml (2 cups) milk
30ml (2T) sugar
2ml (1/4 tsp) ground cinnamon
2ml (1/4 tsp) ground nutmeg
2ml (1/4 tsp) salt
12 French baguette slices
30ml (2T) butter
Honey, for drizzling
To make poached pears:
• Bring sugar, wine and ginger to the boil in a medium-sized pot over a medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
• Peel, core and halve pears. Add to wine mixture and bring to the boil.
• Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until pears are tender, but still crisp.
• Transfer pears and poaching liquid to a bowl and allow to cool completely.
• Cut each pear half into 6 thin wedges and return to liquid. Cover and chill.
To make French toast:
• In a bowl whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
• Dip each bread slice into the spiced egg mixture on both sides.
• Melt half the butter in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat.
• Add half the bread slices and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
• Remove from pan and keep warm.
• Repeat with remaining butter and French baguette slices.
• Drain pears, slice and place on top of French toast slices.
• Drizzle with honey for extra sweetness and serve.
Mini Mushroom and Thyme Omelettes
25g porcini mushrooms, thinly sliced
25g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
25g oyster mushrooms, thinly sliced
3ml (1/2 tsp) fresh thyme
5ml (1 tsp) butter
30ml (2T) cream
Spring onion, chopped, for garnishing
• Pre-heat the oven grill.
• In a pre-heated pan, melt the butter and cook the mushrooms and thyme until golden brown. Set aside.
• In a mixing bowl, beat the egg and cream together.
• Over a medium heat, pre-heat a small, non-stick frying pan. Grease lightly with olive oil.
• Pour in the egg mixture and cook, adding seasoning to taste.
• Place under the grill for 30 seconds to “puff up”.
• Carefully slide the omelette onto a plate and fill with the mushroom mixture.
• Fold over and garnish with spring onions.
• Repeat the above to make the second mini omelette.
• Serve hot.