A second suspect linked to the assault incident involving former Deputy Minister of Higher Education Mduduzi Manana was arrested at the Randburg Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.
Manana is expected to plead guilty on two counts of assault to cause grievous bodily harm for allegedly assaulting two women at the Cubana restaurant in Fourways, north of Johannesburg, last month.
The former Deputy Minister has already admitted to assaulting one of the women and subsequently resigned from his position. Manana issued a public apology, but claimed that he acted following extreme provocation.
He has been under-fire since a cellphone recording of his conversation with one of the victims’ brothers surfaced on social media, shortly after the incident.
In the recording, he said he slapped one of the women because she had called him “gay”.
He was granted R5 000 bail in the same court on 10 August.
The second suspect linked to the incident was reportedly arrested while waiting for court proceedings to get underway.
IOL reports that one of Manana’s victims pointed him out to the police officers.
Gauteng provincial spokesperson Captain Kay Makhubela confirmed the suspect’s dramatic arrest to the publication.
“We can confirm that a man was arrested in court after one of the victims pointed him out to officers. He was held at Randburg and will be charged with assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm,” he was quoted as saying.
He said the suspect will appear as Manana’s co-accused.
Additional reporting by IOL