South Africans react to Cabinet reshuffle

President Jacob Zuma's latest Cabinet reshuffle has shocked some South Africans

Although there had been some rumours, President Jacob Zuma’s Cabinet reshuffle has come as a surprise to some South Africans.

The announcement was made on Tuesday morning by the Presidency. This is the second Cabinet reshuffle this year.

In March, former Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan and deputy Mcebisi Jonas were among those who were sacked. Higher Education Minister Blade Nzimande, who seemed unaware of the impending changes a few days ago, is one of the Ministers who has been removed from the National Executive.

“I thank the former members of the National Executive for good service in their previous portfolios. I wish the members who are assuming new portfolios all the best in their new responsibilities,” said a statement from the Presidency on Tuesday morning.

DA leader Mmusi Maimane says the reshuffle is based on the President’s personal agenda.

READ MORE: Zuma announces yet another Cabinet reshuffle

“This reshuffle has nothing to do with effecting good governance, and ensuring the best people serve our country. On the contrary, Jacob Zuma appears to be firing his critics, and offering promotions in exchange for support ahead of the ANC’s elective conference in December this year,” Maimane says in a statement.

Additionally, he believes that the reshuffle is an indication of what kind of party the ANC is.

“This just reaffirms what the DA has said all along – the ANC exists solely an organisation committed to self-enrichment and self-advancement – all at the expense of the South African people,” he says. He urged South Africans to make their mark and add their voices during the 2019 national elections. 

Social media has been abuzz since the announcement.