What better way to say “thank you, mum” then spending the whole day with her, making memories and tasty, unforgettable meals. From breakfast to dinner, these recipes have you sorted:
BREAKFAST: Treat your mum to the ultimate Mother’s Day morning meal with this breakfast- in-bed.
Tasty Pan-Baked Fritter with Mushroom Sauce
Prep time: 15 min
CHD (carbohydrates): 3,2g per portion
kJ (kilojoule count per portion): 1 740kJ
500g minced meat
3 eggs, separated
30ml onion, grated
30ml celery, thinly chopped
30ml green/red pepper, finely chopped
To taste: Salt, freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder
5ml mustard powder
5ml baking powder
200g mushrooms, chopped
1 onion, chopped
125ml thick cream
20ml lemon juice
- Mix all the ingredients, bar the egg whites, and oil together.
- Whisk the egg whites stiff and fold into the other mixture.
- Bake till golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with mushroom sauce.
- Heat butter and sauté mushrooms and onion till soft and most of the water has evaporated.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for two minutes, stirring constantly.
LUNCH: Make this Mother’s Day special with this amazing lunch recipe.
Hake and Vegetable Bake
Prep time: 30 min
CHD (carbohydrates): 7g per portion
kJ (kilojoule count per portion): 650 kJ
750g hake, frozen, skin removed (by dipping the frozen fillet in hot water for easy peeling-off of the skin)
1 large onion, chopped
250ml mushrooms, sliced
15ml butter/canola oil
1 large green pepper, seeded, cut into strips
0,5ml garlic flakes/fresh garlic
2 celery sticks, cut
1 tin whole, peeled tomatoes
35ml: Soya flour/wholewheat flour
To taste: Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180° celsius.
- Cut the hake into smaller pieces.
- Bake fish at 180° celsius for 10 minutes.
- Stir-fry onion, mushrooms, celery, green pepper and garlic till soft.
- Drain the tin of tomatoes, reserving juice. Add the chopped tomatoes to the above mixture. Warm up, stirring the mixture.
- Mix now the reserve tomato juice with the flour and seasoning. Add gradually to the mixture on the stove while constantly stirring till the mixture thickens.
- Spoon this mixture over the baked fish fillets.
- Cover the dish and bake at 180° celsius for 20 minutes.