Sibanye confirmed late Tuesday that the body of a fourth worker had been retrieved from the abandoned stope ore pass by specialised teams after it was located earlier in the day.

Five mineworkers entered a poorly ventilated, abandoned working area on Monday morning in Sibanye’s Kloof Ikamva shaft near Westonaria, south-west of Johannesburg.

READ MORE: Sibanye Kloof mine operations suspended following deaths of miners

While Sibanye said a thorough investigation will be undertaken into the incident, Mineral Resources Minister Gwede Mantashe said that the company should be held accountable for the death of mineworkers.

– African News Agency