Hilton Botha, the former lead detective in the murder case involving paralympian Oscar Pistorius, has resigned from the SA Police Service, police confirmed on Thursday.
"He gave notice with immediate effect yesterday (Wednesday)," Brigadier Neville Malila said.
"The reasons given are between himself and the organisation. It is a personal decision ultimately."
Malila said Botha had been an investigator for many years and a member of the police for more than 22 years.
"It is a lot of experience that we are losing, but it is his personal decision."
Botha's removal from the Pistorius case followed reports in February that he was charged with attempted murder.
Police later confirmed that he had seven attempted murder charges pending. In 2011 Botha allegedly fired shots at a minibus while trying to stop the vehicle. Seven people were in the taxi at the time.
Botha told Sapa he was looking forward to his new job, but was coy on exactly what it entailed.
It was different but in a similar field to what he was doing with the police.
"It is a new area but I am happy about it."
Botha said his new employers approached him about a week ago.
He would not give further details regarding his new position or employer saying it would bring unnecessary attention to them.
"The most important reason [for my resignation] is that I want to send my son to university next year and with a police salary it would have been impossible for me."
Botha said he harboured no ill feelings towards the police service, adding: "I really enjoyed all the years I worked."
It was later confirmed that his resignation would not have an effect on the Pistorius case. "No, it will have no effect on the case. Investigations are ongoing. If he is needed for court he will be subpoenaed," said Brigadier Neville Malila.