Y-AGE is a new entrepreneurial programme aimed at empowering the youth. Here are the 10 steps involved in becoming a Y-AGE entrepreneur.
There are three ways to register:
-Visit the Y-AGE Mobisite
- SMS 34747 (Each SMS costs R1,50).
2. SELECTION PROCESS
People aged 18-35 and who fall into the following four categories will be selected by panels of experts:
- People with an idea, but no existing business
- People with an existing business, but no funding
- People with an invention, but no money to go to market
- People with a business that collapsed and needs to be resuscitated.
3. COMMITMENT FEE
- Once selected, you will need to pay a R500 commitment fee.
All selected participants will receive:
-a learner contract
-a Y-AGE banking account
-a materials pack with schedules
- Incumbents with no business experience: Training commences: NEW VENTURE CREATION
- Incumbents with business experience: Workshops commence: TURN AROUND SOLUTIONS.
6. BUSINESS PLAN EVALUATION
Incumbent’s business plan assessment and approval for funding.
20% grant (From development finding institutions/GEP/DED)
80% loan (From financial lending institutions)
8. KICK-START THE BUSINESS
Hire people and create jobs.
9. MONITORING AND EVALUATION
This is a one-year programme.
Y-AGE is an initiative by the Gauteng Department of Economic Development, though the Gauteng Enterprise Propeller (GEP), that aims to encourage young entrepreneurs by providing skills development, training and mentorship.