10. Whole-slide imaging for management of digital data in pathology
Technology that allows high-quality slides to be viewed, archived and streamed over the Internet.
9. Devices for occluding left atrial appendage to reduce stroke risk
A machine that helps prevent clots in patients who suffer from atrial fibrillation. It’s an alternative to long-term pill dependence.
8. Oral thrombopoeitin receptor agonist that stimulates platelet production
This is a drug that stimulates the production of cells in bone marrow.
7. Outpatient diagnosis of sleep-related breathing disorders
This is a self-contained, easy-to-use device that can screen and diagnose sleep-related breathing disorders.
6. Forced exercise to improve motor function in patients with Parkinson’s disease
A tandem bike that dramatically improves the motor function of Parkinson’s patients.
5. Fertility preservation through oocyte cryopreservation
A rapidly-improving technology that allows a healthy woman to safely freeze and store her eggs, ready to be thawed and fertilised at a later date.
4. Non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants
Another alternative to the dependence on the anticoagulant Warfarin. This is a simple and uncomplicated pill, with few side effects, that doesn’t require supervised administration.
3. Continuous-flow ventricular assist devices
These tiny devices are surgically attached alongside the heart and can take over the heart’s pumping ability.
2. Low-volume, low-pressure tracheal tube cuff to reduce ventilator-associated pneumonia
A device that dramatically reduces the risk of ventilator-associated pneumonia and death by providing continuous effective airway seals, thus ensuring no bacteria can sneak in.
1. Bone conduction of sound for single-sided deafness
A new, non-surgical, removable hearing and communication device that has the incredible ability to transmit sound via the teeth to help people with single-sided deafness.