4 pita breads
Olive oil for brushing
1 x 100g jar basil pesto
30g (1 handful) basil leaves
4 small to medium-sized ripe tomatoes
1 x 120g tub bocconcini cheese
Balsamic vinegar and olive oil for drizzling
• Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Use a 6cm cookie cutter to cut 12 rounds of pita bread.
• Place rounds on a baking tray, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 4 minutes until crisp, but not dry.
• To assemble, dollop a teaspoon of pesto onto each round, add a basil leaf, a tomato slice, another smear of pesto and a bocconcini ball. Top with a basil leaf.
• Drizzle with balsamic and olive oil, top with a basil leaf and serve.
Pear, Fennel and Blue Cheese Salad
30g (1 pack) wild rocket
1 large fennel bulb, finely sliced
30g (1 pack) pea shoots or mung bean sprouts
6 radishes, sliced
3 ripe pears, sliced and dipped in lemon juice
125g wedge blue cheese, crumbled
Lemon juice and olive oil for drizzling
• Toss the rocket, fennel and pea shoots or bean sprouts together in a large salad bowl.
• Top with the radishes, pear slices and blue cheese.
• Drizzle over some lemon juice and virgin olive oil just before serving.
Salmon and Caper Parcels
Olive oil for brushing
6 x 200g salmon fillets (ask your fishmonger to remove bones and skin)
2 celery sticks, sliced
250g (1 cup) drained caper berries, rinsed
Sea salt and black pepper
2 lemons, sliced
Baking paper and kitchen string
• Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
• Cut baking paper into 30 x 40cm rectangles.
• Lay paper rectangles on a wooden board and brush with olive oil.
• Place a fish fillet on each paper rectangle and top with equal amounts of celery and capers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
• Arrange 2 lemon slices on top of each fillet.
• Wrap the paper across to enclose the salmon and fold over the ends (as you would to wrap a sandwich). Make a hole in each end using a paper punch and thread with kitchen string. Pull the string and tie to secure.
• Place the parcels on a baking tray and bake for 12-15 minutes.
• Serve parcels with steamed broccoli and a small bowl of lemony mayonnaise for each guest.
Lemon Meringue Tarts
1 x 400g packet ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
185ml (3/4 cup) caster sugar
3 large free-range eggs
185ml (3/4 cup) cream
125ml (1/2 cup) lemon juice
5ml (1 tsp) finely grated lemon rind
2 extra-large free-range egg whites
Another 125ml (1/2 cup) caster sugar
Granadilla halves or vanilla ice cream to serve
• Pre-heat the oven to 200°C. Use an 8-9cm cookie cutter to cut 12 rounds of pastry.
• Line a greased 12-hole muffin tin with the pastry rounds. Place a cupcake paper in each and half-fill with baking weights (beans, rice or coins).
• Blind-bake for 8 minutes. Remove the paper and weights and allow to cool.
• Reduce the oven to 140°C.
• Meanwhile, place the 185ml caster sugar, eggs, cream, lemon juice and rind in a bowl and whisk to combine.
• Pour into the pastry shells and bake for 20 minutes until just set.
• Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add the 125ml caster sugar and whisk until smooth and glossy.
• Top each tart with a teaspoonful of meringue and grill for 1-2 minutes, until just starting to brown.