Serves 4 – 6
2 large, store-bought pizza bases (the Woolies 2-in-a-pack variety is ideal)
500ml (2 cups) half-and-half grated strong cheddar and mozzarella cheese
250g button mushrooms, sliced and fried with garlic
250g bacon, lightly grilled
6 large free-range eggs
60ml (1/4 cup) parsley, chopped
• Pre-heat the oven to 200°C and place pizza bases on baking trays.
• Sprinkle the cheese on bases, followed by the mushrooms and then the bacon. Finally, break 6 eggs on top of the bases.
• Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes, until pizza is crispy and eggs just cooked through.
• Garnish with parsley, pepper and sea salt, and cut into wedges.
Roasted Granola and Orange Cherry Compôte
3 oranges, segmented
250g (1 cup) cherries
250g (1 cup) sugar
83ml (1/3 cup) water
1 vanilla pod
500g (2 cups) store-bought muesli
60ml (4T) honey
Thick plain yoghurt
To make compôte:
• Combine all ingredients in a large, heavy saucepan.
• Bring to the boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
• Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
• Transfer compôte to a medium bowl. Refrigerate, uncovered, until cold (about 3 hours). (This part of the recipe can be prepared 2 days in advance – just keep the compôte covered and chilled.)
To make granola:
• Pre-heat oven to 200ºC.
• Mix the muesli and honey together and place in a greased baking tray.
• Bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Then allow to cool.
• Place yoghurt at the bottom of a tumbler.
• Top with granola, then add a generous serving of compôte, then add more plain yoghurt.
• Finish with a sprinkling of granola.
3 large free-range eggs
15ml (1T) chives, chopped
15ml (1T) butter
15ml (1T) Parmesan cheese, finely grated
Pan-fried mushrooms with asparagus
Smoked salmon and a dollop of crème fraîche
Pan-fried spring onion, chopped cherry tomatoes and basil
Grated cheddar cheese, chopped ham and a dollop of mustard
• Whisk the eggs and 15ml (1T) water together until mixture starts to get frothy. Stir in the chives.
• Heat the butter in a 20cm non-stick pan over a medium-high heat.
• Pour in egg and allow to cook until semi-set.
• Sprinkle over your filling ingredients and carefully fold over, using an egg-lifter.
• Allow egg to cook for a further 3 minutes until the outside is browned and the inside is still a little creamy. The filling should be heated through.
• Gently tilt the pan and slide the omelette onto a warmed plate.
• Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and serve immediately with buttered wholewheat toast and a few rocket leaves.