Chilli-Rubbed Steak with Fennel and Orange Salad
4 x 150g/200g rump steak
4 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp fresh chilli
2 tsp black pepper, crushed
4 tsp mixed herbs, chopped
2 tsp salt
4 tsp olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
2 fennel bulbs
2 red onions
Juice of two lemons
1 tsp lemon zest
¼ cup good quality olive oil
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
1 tsp honey
Salt and pepper to taste
For the salad:
• Cut the skin and pith off the orange and cut into segments.
• Thinly slice the fennel bulb, including the green stalks.
• Very thinly slice the red onion and add to the fennel and orange mix.
• Place in the fridge while you prepare the dressing and steak.
For the dressing:
• Add all the ingredients and mix very well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
• Place in a dish/jug and set aside.
For the steak:
• Mix chilli flakes, fresh chilli, black pepper, mixed herbs and salt into a shallow dish.
• Mix olive oil and lemon juice together in a bowl.
• Brush steaks with olive oil mix.
• Roll in the chilli mix, ensuring that the entire steak is covered.
• On the stove, pre-heat a non-stick frying pan until it is hot.
• Add 1 extra teaspoon of olive oil.
• Fry the steak until medium-done.
• Cut the cooked steak into strips and serve with the orange and fennel salad.
• Shake the dressing well and drizzle over orange and fennel salad.
Chilli Chicken Pita
1 small onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
45ml (3T) oil
Juice of 1 lemon
2,5ml (1/2 tsp) salt
15ml (1T) runny honey
5ml (1 tsp) paprika
1 small red chilli, seeded and chopped
4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
Hot pita breads, to serve
• Mix the onion, garlic, oil and lemon juice with the salt, honey, paprika and chilli. Add the chicken and marinate for 20 minutes.
• Heat a griddle pan and grill the chicken strips for about 8 minutes, until cooked through.
• Serve in the pita breads with shredded lettuce and a yoghurt sauce made with 125ml (1/2 cup) yoghurt, 15ml (1T) fresh chopped mint and a sprinkling of paprika.
Chilli, Ginger and Plum Pork Parcels
400g pork steak, thinly sliced
60ml (4T) plum sauce
20ml (4 tsp) sherry
20ml (4 tsp) soya sauce
10ml (2 tsp) ginger, finely chopped
5ml (1 tsp) garlic, finely chopped
5ml (1 tsp) chilli, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
50g red and yellow peppers, cubed
50g sugar snap beans, halved
100g shiitake mushrooms, halved
2 plums, sliced
1 egg, beaten, for sealing parcels
Fresh basil leaves and red chilli, for garnishing
• Pre-heat oven to 200˚C.
• Place the plum sauce, sherry, soya sauce, ginger, garlic, chilli, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well.
• Add the pork to the mixture and marinate for 5 minutes.
• Add the peppers, beans, mushrooms and plums to the mixture and stir in well.
• To assemble the parcels: Place two pieces of wide, heavy-duty foil (each about 40cm long) on top of one another. Fold each paper in half to get a crease, then open it out again. Be careful not to pierce the foil when filling the parcels.
• Place the pork and veggie mixture in the centre of one half and brush all the edges with beaten egg. Bring the two sides of the foil together and seal well. Repeat for second parcel.
• Place the parcels on a baking tray and bake for 25 minutes.
• Break open and garnish with fresh basil and chilli.
Drink suggestion: Paul Cluver Pinot Noir.