Grilled Pineapple and Honey Dessert
1 pineapple, skinned
60ml (4T) honey
5ml (1 tsp) cinnamon
60ml (4T) sugar
• Cut the pineapple into long wedges.
• Fry pineapple in a hot pan with the honey until golden, but still firm.
• Mix cinnamon and sugar on a flat plate.
• Affix the grilled pineapple onto skewers and dip one side into the sugar mix.
• Serve warm or cold. serving suggestions: To add an exotic twist, place grilled pineapple skewers on thick, Greek-style yoghurt with chopped, roasted almonds.
Sugar Grilled Plums, Nectarines and Peaches
125g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
• Pre-heat oven to 180˚C.
• Halve fruits and remove pips.
• Place the fruit halves, cut side up, on a lightly greased baking tray.
• Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until fruit is just tender.
• Serve in a bowl on a platter with pieces of dark chocolate and imported almond biscuits.
• You could also serve with vanilla ice cream or Greek yoghurt.
Country Fruit Pie
Serves 6 – 8
100g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
2 large free-range eggs
300g (1-1/2 cups) cake flour
50g (1/4 cup) ground almonds
500g sliced soft seasonal fruits (eg apples, guavas, bananas, cherries, figs, pears, berries, peaches and plums)
• Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
• For the pastry: Combine the butter and caster sugar in a food processor.
• While the machine is running, add the eggs one at a time.
• Add the flour and blend to a dough.
• Roll into a ball, wrap in cling-film and store in the fridge for 1 hour.
• Remove dough from fridge and place on a sheet of non-stick baking paper liberally sprinkled with flour. Roll out to the size of a very large dinner plate. Transfer to a baking sheet.
• Sprinkle the ground almonds onto the centre of the pastry and pile on the fruit, leaving a 5cm pastry border.
• Sprinkle 15-30g (1-2T) of caster sugar over the fruit, then firmly fold the extra pastry over the fruit to partially enclose. (Use the paper to help you.)
• Bake for 30 minutes until the pastry is golden-brown and the fruit caramelised.
• Serve with custard, ice cream or cream.