Why do you need a hair oil?
One of the most basic hair-care elements to remember for natural hair is moisture. Hair oils not only provide this, but can also help seal the hair to prevent additional loss of moisture. Because they’re also lubricating, they’re great for detangling wet hair. Hair oils are suitable for everyday use and can also be used when you have a protective style.
What to look for in a hair oil?
Look at the beginning of the ingredients list as the ingredients listed first will be present in that product in the highest concentrations. Choose an oil that has a high concentration of the following ingredients:
Tea tree oil is ideal for unclogging the hair follicles and refreshing and moisturising the scalp. It also prevents breakage.
Castor oil is an old traditional hair treatment. Whether you’re making your own mixture or using it on its own, castor oil offers many different benefits. It promotes hair growth, makes it feel thicker and prevents hair loss. It also stimulates the blood flow to the hair follicles, providing nourishment to the area, resulting in strands that are stronger and more resilient.
Coconut oil easily penetrates the shaft, and makes a great deep conditioning treatment and highly effective moisturiser. It also locks the moisture within the hair shaft.
Olive oil is great for repairing any damage caused by relaxers, straighteners and protective styles. It contains antioxidants that promote healthy hair growth and strengthen the hair cuticles. It also adds a lustrous sheen to your hair.
We’ve rounded up our five favourite oil products:
1. Dr. Miracle’s Stimulating Moisturizing Gro Oil can be used daily or even twice a day for dry hair. It moisturises and conditions both the hair and scalp to help heal dryness, flakiness and itchiness. R80, from Clicks and Dis-Chem.
2. Sunny Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil contains crushed castor bean seeds and Omegas 6 and 9 to give the feeling of thicker hair and promote healthy growth. It’s packed with the high-quality nutrients, minerals and proteins required for healthy hair. It can also be used to treat scalp infections. R280, from Ruuto’s Hair.
3. MPL Hair Oil Coconut works well for added volume whether you’ve got relaxed or natural hair. It’s formulated as a thick, concentrated oil and should be used sparingly to prevent build-up. R24 from Clicks.
4. Suki Suki Miraculous Oil is enriched with pure Moroccan argan oil, Jamaican black castor oil and shea oil to help stimulate blood circulation and promote hair growth. It helps repair chemically damaged hair, split ends and is also great for treating the hairline. You can also use it as a hot oil treatment. R180, from www.sukisukinaturals.co.za.
5. Dark & Lovely Moisture Plus Satin Oil contains blended shea butter, which helps to seal the hair fibre to prevent moisture loss. It also adds shine to the hair. R40 from Clicks.