Broccoli is rich in vitamins, potassium and fibre, and low in calories. It also offers many health benefits such as reducing cholesterol and helping to detox the system. It’s also a powerful antioxidant and has been proven to prevent certain cancers.
So, here’s a quick easy recipe with broccoli as the hero.
coconut oil (use olive oil as an alternative)
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 potato, peeled and chopped
500ml good chicken stock
2 cups chopped broccoli
sea salt (to taste)
black pepper (to taste)
30ml coconut milk (use fresh cream as an alternative)
bacon bits and grated parmesan cheese to serve
- In a large pot heat the coconut oil and fry the onions and garlic on low heat.
- Add the potatoes and then the chicken stock and bring to a slow boil
- Stir in the broccoli and reduce the heat. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked
- When the potatoes are cooked, puree the mixture in batches in a food processor or blender
- Return the pureed soup to the pot and simmer. If the mixture is too thick, adjust by adding warm water until it reaches a consistency you like.
- Season to taste.
- Pour coconut milk in the centre, and using a spoon, make circular motions to create swirl pattern. Add grated parmesan and fried bacon bits.