Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence (JLaw) has topped the Forbes’ Highest-Paid Actresses list. The 25-year-old raked in an estimated $52 million (R681,4 million) in earnings from June 2014 to June 2015.
A huge chunk of her earnings are thanks to her leading role as Katniss Everdeen in the fantasy-action triology, The Hunger Games. Her lucrative endorsement deal with Dior also earned her a couple of million.
Coming just after JLaw is Avengers’ star Scarlett Johansson, who brought in an estimated $35,5 million (R465,2 million), and she is followed by Bridesmaids’ actress Melissa McCarthy with $23 million (R301,4 million). Chinese star Fan Bingbing was the only non-American to make the list, coming in at number four, with her total earnings reaching an estimated $21 million (R275,2 million).
While it’s great that Lawrence is making her mark, one can’t help but notice the huge difference between the highest-paid male and the highest paid female stars.
JLaw’s earnings pale in comparison to those of Robert Downey Jr, 2015’s highest-paid actor, who raked in a whopping $80 million (R1,04 billion). Twenty one male actors earned more than $20 million (R262,1 million) on Forbes’ Highest-Paid Actors list, compared to only four of their female counterparts.
The gender pay gap becomes more noticeable in the earning of older actors, as the younger stars’ earnings are pretty much on par. According to Fox, one study showed that age 34 is the pay peak for actresses, with earnings dropping exponentially after that. The earnings of male stars, however, peak when they hit the age of 51, and thereafter don’t drop as drastically as those of female stars.
Top 10 highest-paid actresses in 2015:
- Jennifer Lawrence: $52 million (R681,4 million)
- Scarlett Johansson: $35,5 million (R465,2 million)
- Melissa McCarthy: $23 million (R301,4 million)
- Fan Bingbing: $21 million (R275,2 million)
- Jennifer Aniston $16,5 million (R216,2 million)
- Julia Roberts: $16 million (R209,7 million)
- Angelina Jolie: $15 million (R196,7 million)
- Reese Witherspoon $15 million (R196,7 million)
- Anne Hathaway $12 million (R157,25 million)
- Kristen Stewart $12 million (R157,25 million)
Sources: Forbes, Fox