Zulu has denied saying certain comrades in the ANC were working with corporate SA in an attempt to remove Zuma. She was responding to claims made in a Mail & Guardian report.
However, in an interview with Power FM on Friday morning, Zulu denied ever making such a statement.
“These are the facts that I want to put on the table. Yes, I did say that when Zuma came into office, business didn’t really think he was the best person and that is a fact that cannot be changed. I know, because, as a matter of fact, when Zuma came into office, I worked with him as his adviser. He called a number of meetings with business to try and engage with them, so that the narrative that the ANC did not want to work with business was laid to rest,” she says.
She accused the newspaper of making up the part about some ANC leaders being involved in a plot to remove Zuma. “I will defend the ANC and the President, where he needs to be defended. I will defend the party and the President when people begin to put words in our mouths and make analyses to suit them,” she said.
READ MORE: ANC applauds Zuma for his bold decision
President Zuma has faced criticism from business and South Africans after he made a decision to remove former Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene without any explanation. Zuma made the decision last week Wednesday. Nene was replaced with David van Rooyen, who was replaced by Pravin Gordhan after four days.
The ANC has come out in defence of Zuma, praising him for heeding the concerns of South Africans. “The President’s willingness to change an earlier deployment in the face of our sluggish economic climate and representations from roleplayers demonstrated bold leadership and brings certainty and assurance to the finance portfolio,” the ruling party’s Jessie Duarte told the media.
What people had to say about Lindiwe Zulu on Twitter: