What are some of the best things we can do for our skin?
- Sleep! The consequences of a lack of sleep are enormous, impacting our thought processes, mental acuity and our body’s repair processes, eventually affecting what we choose to eat and what we use on our skin. I think that we’re only starting to enter a new era of understanding how all these factors affect us.
- A good SPF50 sunblock is essential from the moment you wake up.
- Regular, disciplined cleansing and protection of the skin are essential. People either under-cleanse or over-cleanse and end up stripping the skin; you have to get that balance right. Cleansing is critical, as if you don’t cleanse effectively, any product you use afterwards won’t be as effective as it should be.
What are the worst skincare sins?
- Not cleansing properly and using soap and water or products that don’t have enough oil in them to break down oil in the skin to remove all impurities, dirt and make-up.
- Over cleansing
- Not protecting your skin by wearing sunblock. This is not just about avoiding sunburn, it’s also about preventing pigmentation and premature ageing.
- Over-exfoliating, which leads to abraded and over-sensitised skin. On this note, a prediction for a new category in skincare would be skin strengtheners, because we’ve made our skins more fragile by constantly stripping it.
Read about Jane Wurwand’s business journey in the March issue of DESTINY.