DINNER: Treat your mum to a home cooked meal with this easy, mouth-watering and elegant dinner recipe.
Stir-Fried Beef with Ginger
Prep time: 35 min
CHD (carbohydrates): 14g per portion
kJ (kilojoule count per portion): 370kJ
60ml soy sauce and beef stock
5ml Soya flour/wholewheat flour
10ml Canola oil/olive oil
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
10ml brown sugar
1 small red chilli, seeded and chopped (optional)
600g rump/sirloin steak, thinly sliced
45ml canola oil
3cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 onion, thinly sliced
Other veggies: Yellow, green and red pepper, mushrooms, carrots, baby marrow, broccoli, all thinly sliced
20ml soya flour/cake flour
45ml soy sauce
190ml beef stock
45ml white wine
- Combine all the ingredients of the marinade and stir in the meat. Leave to marinate for about 30 minutes.
Vegetables and sauce:
- Heat a little oil in a heavy pan/wok and stir-fry ginger for 30 seconds.
- Add remaining veggies and stir-fry until just tender, adding a little more oil if needed.
- Remove vegetables, add remaining oil, then stir-fry beef until just cooked through.
- Return vegetables to the pan, add sauce and stir-fry to coat all foods.
- Cook about one minute, sprinkle with bean sprouts (optional) and serve.
DESSERT: End off the day with this decadent dessert recipe.
Pineapple Cheesecake with Strawberry Topping
Prep time: 20 minutes = time to set
CHD (carbohydrates): 5g per portion
kJ (kilojoule count per portion): 350ml
750ml: Cream cheese/smooth cottage cheese
1 small tin pineapple rings with syrup, unsweetened
1 sachet/30ml gelatine, dissolved in 60ml water
1 box Low-cal jelly, strawberry flavour, prepared according to instructions on the box
125ml strawberries (chopped)
To decorate: Halved strawberries and whipped cream roses
- Crush the pineapple. Use the syrup too. Mix thoroughly with the cheese.
- Heat the gelatine slightly in the microwave until dissolved. Cool and add to cheese mixture.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Pour into a 23cm pie plate and chill until set.
- Prepare jelly and chill until almost set. Add strawberries.
- Spoon onto set layer of cheese.
TIME TO UNWIND:
1 ¼ parts Hendrick’s Gin
1 ¾ parts yellow chartreuse
½ part freshly squeezed lime juice
½ part blue curacao
- Stir all ingredients (except absinthe) over block ice until well chilled and slightly diluted.
- Spritz glass with absinthe and pour in rest of ingredients.