Ekurhuleni Mayor spokesperson, Phakamile Mbengashe, said that Malaza was suspended pending the finalisation of an investigation into the alleged non-disclosure of information regarding her dismissal from the SABC.
Mbengashe said that the City Manager had issued Malaza with a letter on Friday requesting her to provide reasons as to why she should not be suspended, but found that there was no basis for her not to be suspended upon receipt of her submission. Malaza was then suspended on Monday.
She said that investigations were currently being conducted by the City and should be concluded within the next three months.
The Star newspaper reported in March last year how Malaza was allegedly recommended for the plum job behind closed doors in the only ANC-controlled metro in Gauteng, despite opposition parties rejecting the proposal for her appointment.
Malaza was dismissed from the SABC in 2014 for “procurement and financial irregularities”, two years after she had been put on suspension.
An investigation by former Public Protector Thuli Madonsela found that former Communications Minister Dina Pule had interfered in Malaza’s appointment as CFO at the SABC.
Madonsela also found that Malaza had been interviewed and appointed to the position despite her not having applied, and had been interviewed long after the board had already recommended another candidate to Pule.
Malaza denied the allegations, saying that she became unpopular the moment she tried to put checks and balances in place at the SABC and clashed with former COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng.
– African News Agency