Part of enjoying the December holidays is celebrating with the hottest song of the season. Everyone argues about which hit will be played to usher in the new year, with that track then remembered as the song of the year – or at least the song of December.
South Africa, though, is not short of hits and picking that one top song to jam to over the holidays is very difficult.
Since its South African launch in March, Spotify has kept close tabs on the favourite and most streamed local and international artists and songs.
In the eight months since the app’s arrival in the country there’s been the #InYourFeelingsChallenge thanks to rapper Drake, the #LevelUpChallenge named after a Ciara song, and who can forget the most recent #KupeChallenge? But are those songs expected to still dominate next month?
According to Spotify, the top 10 of the most streamed local songs include iWalk Ye Phara by DJ Maphorisa and DJ Raybel, Spirit by Kwesta and Wale and Suited by Shekhinah.
Here are the top 10 most streamed songs on Spotify:
- GoldFish – Hold Your Kite (featuring Sorana)
- Lady Zamar – Collide
- Mlindo The Vocalist – AmaBlesser (featuring DJ Maphorisa)
- Sun-EL Musician – Bamthathile
- Kwesta – Spirit (featuring Wale)
- Shekhinah – Suited
- Black Coffee – Drive (featuring David Guetta)
- Shekhinah – Please Mr
- DJ Maphorisa & DJ Raybel – iWalk Ye Phara (featuring Moonchild Sanelly, KO & Zulu Mkhathini)
- Dlala Mshunqisi, Distruction Boyz & DJ Tira – Pakisha
While some of these hits may be a bit dated for the festive season, other songs by these artists might make the cut. Perhaps Fela in Versace by Aka, or something from DJ Maphorisa will be the song of the season.
Here are the 10 most streamed local artists on Spotify:
- Nasty C
- Jeremy Loops
- Joyous Celebration
- Sun-EL Musician
- DJ Maphorisa